BENGHAZI, LIBYA – 5 March 2011 – The Transitional Interim National Council (The council) held its first meeting on Saturday, 5th of March, 2011, in the city of Benghazi, the temporary location, till the liberation of Tripoli the Capital City and the permanent location of The Council.
The Council derives its legitimacy from the city councils who run the liberated cities, and who had been formed by the revolution of the 17th February to fulfil the revolutionary gains in order to achieve their goals. The Council is headed by Mr Mustafa Abdeljeleel and the meeting is attended by:
- Mr. Othman Suleiman El-Megyrahi (Batnan Area)
- Mr. Ashour Hamed Bourashed (Darna City)
- Dr. Abdelallah Moussa El-myehoub (Qouba Area)
- Mr. Zubiar Ahmed El-Sharif (Representative of the political prisoners)
- Mr. Ahmed Abduraba Al-Abaar (Benghazi City)
- Mr.Dr. Fathi Mohamed Baja (Benghazi City)
- Mr. Abdelhafed Abdelkader Ghoga (Benghazi City)
- Mr Fathi Tirbil and Dr. Salwa Fawzi El-Deghali (Representative of youth and women)
The council concluded the following:
- The Council emphasised that the most important role is the one played by the youth. They were the base of foundation of the revolution and the focal power for the Libyan to reach where they stand today to be able to demand the termination of the dictatorial regime.
- The Council Declares that it is the sole representative of all Libya with its different social and political strata and all its geographical sections. Its membership is open to all Libyans and thus received the members of the following cities: Misurata, Zentan, Zawya, Zwara, ,Nalout, El-Jabel El-Gharbi (West Mountain) Gaat, and Kufra and their names will not be declared for safety reasons till the liberation of all Libya. The council is waiting for the delegations from Tripoli , the south Areas and Middle areas of Libya to join it.
- The council declares Mr. Omer El-Hariri as its representative of the Military Affairs for Safety and Security of Libya.
- The Council also declares the information of the Executive Team to administrate the crisis and to deal with currant situations. The function of the Executive Team is to run all foreign matters and to represent the foreign affairs of Libya. It is headed by Dr. Mohamed Jebril Ibrahim El-Werfali and Dr Aziz Al-Eisawi as the reprehensive of the Foreign affairs of Libya. The council declares that there will be more members to the Executive Team to run the main vital sectors of the country after further discussions between the head of the Executive Team and the Council.
The council delegates to Dr. Mohamed Jebril and Dr Ali El-Esawi the right to negotiate and communicate with all members of international communities to accomplish international recognition of all the Council, and both members have the right to take all the necessary measures to reach this goal.
The council affirms that all Libyan delegations to the UN, Arab League, International and regional organizations and members of all the Libyan embassies who joined the revolution are considered legitimate representatives of the Council. The other representatives of the fallen regime should take the above stance.
Finally, even though the balance of power is uneven between the defenceless protestors and the tyrant regime’s mercenaries and private battalions, we will relay on the will of our people for a free and dignified existence. Furthermore, we request from the international community to fulfil its obligations to protect the Libyan people from any further genocide and crimes against humanity without any direct military intervention on Libya soil.
Long live Libya, free and united.
The Transitional Interim National Council
5th of March 2011